AFIPS NCC 1974:
Chicago, Illinois, USA American Federation of Information Processing Societies: 1974 National Computer Conference, 6-10 May 1974, Chicago, Illinois, USA.
AFIPS Conference Proceedings 43 AFIPS Press 1974
Advances in data base management
Information systems for health care
Technological aids for the physically disadvantaged
Computers in communication and voice recognition
- Leon D. Wald:
Integrated voice/data compression and multiplexing using associative processing.
- Rein Turn:
Speech as a man-computer communication channel.
Information systems for ambulatory care
Recent developments and applications of CAI
Health care planning and acceptance of computer systems
- Richard B. Freibrux:
Effective planning for and justification of the extension of data processing in hospitals.
- Bernard W. Bise:
A resource allocation and planning system for the development and operation of health care delivery systems.
- Marion J. Ball:
Medical data processing in the United States.
Business data processing education---a decade of failure
Equipment monitoring and information use (part I)
Display processing and technology
- Charles H. Irby:
Display techniques for interactive text manipulation.
- Donald I. Andrews:
Line processor: a device for amplification of display terminal capabilities for text manipulation.
- Arnold K. Griffith:
The GRAFIX I image processing system.
- Thomas L. Boardman Jr.:
Hardware / software design considerations for high speed / low cost interactive graphic communication systems.
System implementation techniques
Computer science education---recommendations for change
- M. E. Sloan:
Implications of changes in the secondary school: mathematics curriculum for the computer science and computer engineering curricula.
- Charles B. Kreitzberg, Len Swanson:
A cognitive model for structuring an introductory programming curriculum.
- J. A. Archibald Jr., M. Katzper:
On the preparation of computer science professionals in academic institutions.
- Gopal K. Kapur:
EDP education: an acute crisis.
- Charles J. Testa:
An undergraduate/graduate program in information systems.
The high cost of software---causes and corrections
Artificial intelligence and related topics
Improving computer system effectiveness
Operation status of large scale data processing
Software for computer systems acquisition
Mini- and micro-computers in data communication systems
The prophet system---computing in pharmacology
- P. A. Castleman, C. H. Russell, F. N. Webb, C. A. Hollister, J. R. Siegel, S. R. Zdoxik, D. M. Fram:
The implementation of the PROPHET system.
- Charles M. Weeks, Vivian Cody, Stephen Pokrywiecki, Douglas C. Rohrer, William L. Duax:
Applications of the PROPHET system in correlating crystallographic structural data with biological information.
- Carl L. Johnson:
Applications of the PROPHET system in molecular pharmacology: structure-activity relationships in monoamine oxidase inhibitors.
- Bernard J. Ransil:
Applications of the PROPHET system in human clinical investigation.
Manufacturing control system
Darmouth time sharing system---then and now
Planning and design of data communications networks
- Wushow Chou:
Planning and design of data communications networks.
- Lynn Hopewell:
Management planning in the data communications environment.
- Patrick McGregor:
Effective use of data communications hardware.
- Mario Gerla:
New line tariffs and their impact on network design.
- Aaron Kershenbaum:
Tools for planning and designing data communications networks.
- P. R. Witt:
Automatic storage and retrieval system control.
Cooperative government utilization of information processing systems
Programming and programming languages
Technology investment management
- Jo Ann Lockett:
Computer performance analysis in mixed on-line/batch workloads.
- Paul Malick:
Systems performance/measurements: a quantitative base for management of computer systems.
- Roger W. Kleffman:
Two hat management: project management with a difference.
- A. C. Shetler:
Controlled testing for computer performance evaluation.
Installing an on-line information system in the manufacturing environment
- Thomas J. Archbold:
Installing an on-line information system in a manufacturing environment.
Store ordering systems
- M. H. Resnick:
Remote data collection case study: telephone order processing system (TOPS).
Computer system design considerations for control applications
Network performance measurements
The computer---career guidance tool of the present and future
- David V. Tiedeman:
The potential role of the computer in intuition and self development.
- Russell N. Cassel:
Use of computer in relation to critical guidance factors.
Selected topics on system simulation and interaction
Advances in memory technology
Standard for computer networks
Continuing education and career development for computer professionals
Data base administration
Switching and sorting networks
Continuing education and training through the use of CAI
- Eugene G. Kerr:
Business and industry in the 70's find computer-aided instruction a practical answer to training problems.
- Raymond J. Collins:
The role of computer assisted instruction (CAI) in management information systems.
- Catherine P. Breen:
Computer-assisted instruction in industry.
- Bernard H. Goddard:
The use of CAI at McDonnell Douglas.
Panel session papers and paper abstracts
Last update Thu May 23 16:20:31 2013
CET by the DBLP Team — Data released under the ODC-BY 1.0 license — See also our legal information page
- L. C. Hobbs, Marcian E. Hoff Jr., T. B. Steel Jr., Charles R. Fisher, C. W. Rosenthal:
Intelligent terminals: rationale and implications.
- Phillip P. Damon, James D. Foley, Arthur D. Hughes, Carl Machover, Sol Sherr, Robert H. Stotz, Luis Villalobos:
The effect of changing technology on computer graphic systems.
- John C. Davis, Dennis Luck, Eric Salbu, Carol Peters, Robert Koenig, Glen Bacon:
Mass memory systems.
- Martin A. Goetz, L. A. Welke, Patrick McGovern, Burton Grad:
Current trends in the software products industry.
- Jerry D. Burchfiel, Mel Pirtle, Edward Fiala, Robert H. Thomas, Daniel L. Murphy, David C. Walden:
Applications and extensions of the TENEX operating system.
- M. P. Fabisch, N. H. Brown, J. W. Olson, W. S. Doyle, J. R. Gibbons, J. P. Haggerty, B. P. Donohue III, J. F. McDonald, R. R. Conners, R. D. Freeman, H. M. Jackson II:
A large real-time system development.
- John R. Rice, Charles Lawson, William J. Cody, William Gear, Hans J. Oser, Barry W. Boehm:
Mathematical software: patterns for the future.
- Steven B. Lipner, William A. Wulf, Roger R. Schell, Gerald J. Popek, Peter G. Neumann, Clark Weissman, Theodore A. Linden:
- Ralph E. Griswold, James F. Gimpel, Robert B. K. Dewar, Paul J. Santos, David R. Hanson:
- Helene E. Kulsrud, Robert M. Blazer, Herman H. Goldstine, Ralph Grishman, M. Douglas McIlroy, P. E. Hagerty:
- John R. Ridgeway, James N. Hollister, Jon Warms, Bryan Wood, Tom Glacken:
Computer output to microfilm.
- Larry Simonette, Barbara Fossum, Chuck Mairet, C. W. Bachman, Mike O'Connell, Roger Holliday, Don Jardine:
The CODASYL and GUIDE/SHARE proposals on data base management systems.
- Lee Danner, Robert T. Caravella, Robert H. Scott, Gerald E. Short:
Report on the IBM data security study.
- Richard A. Nerad, Robert Manion, Gresham T. Brebach, James Muenz:
Audit considerations of data bases.
- Robert F. Mathis, Stephen R. Crocker, Marvin Denicoff, Victor Mitchell, Frederick W. Weingarten, Edward A. Feustel, Lance J. Hoffman, David K. Hsiao, Rein Turn, William A. Wulf:
Research in data security: policies and projects.
- Charles A. Lupien, R. D. Harrison Jr., Eugene I. Lowenthal, T. Richley:
Accessing a data base through a minicomputer.
- George J. Feeney, Robert D. Hilton, Robert L. Johnson, Thomas J. O'Rourke, Thomas E. Kurtz:
Utility computing: a superior alternative?
- Jack Shaw, Kenneth W. Hunter, Gregory L. Brennan:
Structured systems development.
- Einar Stefferud, David J. Farber, Laurence H. Baker, Joseph D. Naughton, Ronald P. Uhlig, John R. Lanahan, Carl H. Reynolds, Leland H. Williams:
Management impact of networks.
- Richard H. Thayer, John B. Slaughter, Barry W. Boehm, Judith A. Clapp, John H. Manley, James H. Burrows:
The high cost of software: causes and corrections.
- Marvin M. Wofsey, James V. Milano, Phillip J. London, Robert L. Johnson, Phillip C. Howard:
Effective use of computers.
- Richard L. Nolan, Charles Carey, Michael J. Samek, K. Sreenivasan, John V. Soden, Myron Uretsky:
Charge-out system for management acceptance and control of the computer resource.
- Don S. Culbertson, Dennis Elchesen, Mary Ann Swanson, Frederick G. Kilgour, Russell Shank:
Accelerating information delivery.
- Fred H. Harris, Robert N. Reinstedt, Donn B. Parker, William J. Horne, Herbert R. J. Grosch:
Certification of computing personnel: prospects and potential impact.
- Howard Frank, Davis McCarn, Richard Sprague, M. U. Ayres, John Perra, George Feeney, Morton Blanchard:
Large information processing networks: development and operational experience.
- William F. Utlaut, Peter M. McManamon, Hubert J. Schlafly, Friend Skinner, S. S. Tyler:
Digital communications on cable systems.
- Anthony I. Wasserman, William Cass, Jerome H. Grossman, Alfred H. Garratt, William V. Glenn Jr., Gerald A. Giebink:
Information systems for ambulatory care.
- Stanley E. Jacobs, Lou Phillips, Marion J. Ball, John W. Anderson:
Terminal hardware and methodology in hospital information systems.
- Jonathan Clive, Lee B. Lusted, Casimir A. Kulikowski, Thomas A. Pryor, Bruce H. McCormick:
Computer algorithms for analyzing patient data.
- Max A. Woodbury, Richard Friedman, David Gustafson, Jonathan Clive:
Computer-simulations of aspects of the diagnostic process.
- Sylvia Charp:
The use of computers for instruction and administration in elementary and secondary education.
- Dick B. Simmons, Edward J. McCluskey, Aaron Finerman, Michael L. Dertouzos, Jürg Nievergelt:
University computer curricula.
- James E. Oberg, Jack Butler, Bernard F. King Jr., Stephen Ruth:
Computer education for managers.
- Theodore A. Bakalar, Dennis Sears:
C-COMP: COPICS---communications oriented manufacturing plan: "a paper-less factory approach".
- Lawrence Rosler, James D. Foley, John B. Macdonald, H. G. Marsh:
Problems, perils and promises of computer graphics.
- James Warner, Ronald L. Boase:
Numeric control machine tool technology and applications.
- Earl Gomersal:
Manufacturing information systems.
- J. O'Toole, James A. O'Toole:
Shop floor control.
- Gerald T. Montgomery, Vernon L. Schatz:
What manufacturers would like to see happening in point-of-sale.
- Vernon L. Schaatz, Vern Sdhaatz, Doug Brookings, Dan Minter, Ron Low, Lee Paulson:
Point-of-sale systems for supermarkets.
- Verne H. Tanner Jr., James J. Trainor, Nelson A. Howell, Charles D. Trigg, Harold O. Casali:
Transferability of government information systems, problems and solutions. Is it cost effective?
- John Gentile, Kenneth W. Hunter, Clark R. Renninger, Gordon Yamada:
Federal activities in information processing.
- Glen E. Pommerening, Howard Bjorklund, Melvin F. Bockelman, Alan A. Hamilton:
Law enforcement: do the systems really provide the information and safeguards promised?
- Kenneth Orr, Jerry Hammett, Daniel B. MaGraw, Andrew O. Atkinson, Mark Gitenstein:
Security, privacy and the information processing system.
- Robert F. Johnston, John Doede, Edgar Jannotta, Gene M. Amdahl:
Venture capital for computer companies.
- Noel Zakin, Richard J. Guiltinan, Everett C. Johnson, Richard D. Webb:
The auditor/EDP manager relationship.
- Henry R. Koen:
Hardware and software concerns relating to industrial processes.
- John R. Kosorok, Russell L. Heath, Theodore H. Kehl, Edward A. Kramer, Robert E. Mahan:
Applying computers in the research and development laboratory.
- Dan E. Couchenour, C. F. Norton, Donald LePorte, J. Swartz:
Communication nets in transportation.
- Eugene Jones:
Equipment control in transportation.
- Jack W. Farrell, William R. McCartin, Frank J. Cyrkiewicz, Edmund R. Piesciuk, Phillip T. Catalano:
Computerized transportation-distribution: a user overview.
- Donald L. Thomsen Jr., Warren J. Ewens, James S. Coleman, John J. Donovan, Warren E. Walker:
Computing and mathematics in society.
- Isao Miyamoto:
Data reference characteristics of database application programs.
- Gerald M. Masson:
- John A. Rohr:
STAREX: the JPL-STAR computer resident executive.
- Laurent Siklóssy, J. Dreussi:
Simulation of executing robots in imperfectly known environments.
- Tomlinson G. Rauscher:
The provision and use of environmental information in a multiprogramming system.
- J. Weinberg:
Bill of material and requirements calculation systems.